Heating trouble in early 2019? Troubleshoot before calling for service
The year 2019 has officially arrived here in the Boston area (and everywhere else, for that matter) – and with January’s chill comes prime season your hard-working heating equipment.
If your heating gear takes an unexpected winter vacation this year, don’t worry: Frank Lamparelli has our full-service automatic delivery customers covered with 24/7 emergency heating service. But before you pick up that phone for one of our expert technicians, it pays to take a few minutes to do a little troubleshooting with your equipment: you may find that your problem can be fixed without wasting time, and money, on a house call.
If you have no heat, try these five things before contacting us for service:
- Check the fuel level in your tank – if you are out of heating oil, contact us right away for a delivery and system restart.
- Make sure all switches associated with the unit are set for “on” or “start.”
- Check for a tripped breaker, or a blown fuse, on the circuit that powers your heating system.
- Make sure your thermostat is set for five degrees warmer than the current room temperature, and that it is set to the “heat” or “warm” setting.
- Press the reset button on your oil burner – but only do it once. Every time you hit the reset button and the burner doesn’t ignite, you are pumping unburned oil into the combustion chamber of your system.
If your heating system still isn’t working after trying all of the above, contact us for service; our technicians will figure out the problem quickly so you can get back to keeping warm in your home right away.